International Migrants Day observed on 18 December
- On 18 December 2013, International Migrants Day was observed across the world.
- The number of international migrant worldwide has reached 232 million in 2013.
New guidelines issued for admission to nursery schools
On 18 December 2013, new guidelines for admissions to nursery schools issued by Delhi Lieutenant Governor, Najeeb Jang. Under the new system, the selection will be done on the basis of fixed parameters and points including neighbourhood criteria and sibling study in schools.
Kolkata ranked top in public transport among Indian cities
- According to a study of the International Association of Public Transport (UTIP) released On 16 December 2013, Kolkata was ranked top in public transport among Indian cities.
- Kolkata was ranked 31st which was the highest among the six cities studied in India.
India won Asia-Pacific Junior Golf Team Titles
- India won the boy’s and girls’ team titles in the Asia-Pacific junior golf championship at the Royal Calcutta Golf Club (RCGC).
- It was India’s first ever victory in the Asia Pacific Junior Golf Championship.
Kapil Dev selected for Col. CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement award 2013
- On 18 December 2013, Kapil Dev, the Former Captain and legendary All-rounder of Indian Cricket Team selected for the Col. CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement award for the year 2013.
- Sunil Gavaskar won this award for the year 2012.
- Kapil Dev had played 131 Tests for India taking 434 wickets.
- He was the first player to complete 5000 runs and 400 wickets in Tests.
- He played 225 ODIs, in which he took 253 wickets and scored 3783 runs.
- His greatest contribution to Indian cricket was the victory in the 1983 World Cup.
Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill, 2011 passed by Lok Sabha
- On 18 December 2013, Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill, 2011 was passed by the Lok Sabha.
- Earlier, the Bill was passed by the Rajya Sabha on 17 December 2013 after some amendments.
- The Bill seeks to establish an anti-corruption watchdog that will have in its purview even the office of Prime Minister.
Zaheer khan achived 300 wickets in Test cricket
- On 22 December 2013, Zaheer Khan became the fourth Indian bowler to achived 300 wickets in Test Cricket.
- Players, who has taken 300 wickets earlier for India they are, Kapil Dev (434 wickets), Anil Kumble (619 wickets) and Harbhajan Singh (413 wickets).
- Zahir became the most successful left arm fast bowler after Wasim Akram of Pakistan (414 wickets) and Chaminda Vaas of Sri Lanka (355 Wickets).
Indian Scientists developed Insulin Pill for diabetics
- The Indian Scientists, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) developed insulin pill for diabetics in this week of December 2013.